Thank you so much for all of your sweet words about my DIY topiaries that I showed a bit about on my IG stories. This was such an easy and fun project. I just want to make more…and, more! I started off with these evergreen stems that I had picked up at Hobby Lobby. I’m not always a faux plant lover but the color and shape of these was exactly what I was looking for. These stems even have the real look to them. My kids thought that they were real and were smart enough to ask when I was going to kill them. I’m not much of one for keeping plants alive so these are perfect for me. I plucked off all of the green ends of the stems and laid them aside.
This was the fun part for me because I got to sit back and watch an “I Love Lucy” while I pushed all of these pieces of greenery into this foam ball. These topiaries can be made into so many different sizes. The foam ball that you choose will determine what size the topiaries will be when completed. I used a 5-6″ green ball so that the foam would not show through the green stems as much as if it were white.
This is what the topiary looked like from the top once I had the fullness completed to my liking.
I left a part of the foam ball uncovered on the bottom side because the bottom side is not seen once the topiary is finished and this allows for no wasting of the greenery. I used approximately 7 greenery stems for each topiary. This was a lot more that I thought I would need. So, after my second trip to Hobby Lobby, I finally had enough. The nice part about the greenery is that if you don’t want to spend quite as much, you could do smaller topiaries. I wanted mine larger so that they would fit to scale in the old buckets that I used for the base.
I also found these birch wood pieces (to use for the topiary trunk) in a 3 piece bundle at Hobby Lobby and lucky for me, I showed up on the week when they were half off. These wood pieces were rather long so I cut one in half to use for both topiaries and now I have extra wood to use somewhere else in my home decor. I pressed the wood piece into the bottom center of the foam ball and then used hot glue to get it to stay in place.
I then did the same thing with these 2-3.9″ foam disks that I bought. I pushed the wood piece all the way through the first one and then part of the way through the second one.
I am thrilled with the way they turned out!! I used buckets for the base. I propped them up in the bottom of the bucket with paper plates stacked on top of each other. The paper plates were the ones with the ridges so I put 2 plates together top side to top side and then put them in the bottom of the bucket before placing the topiary in the bucket. I used 4-6 plates in each bucket and then filled in the edges where I had extra space with folded up paper plates and folded up dry paper towels. This just allows for my bucket to be lighter in weight and then I have the option to take them out of the bucket if I desire, in the future. I wanted them to look real so I made sure my paper towels were level on the top of the bucket and then I added a thin layer of potting soil to the top. I keep coming home and thinking, “why are my plants still alive”. Oh, the benefits of having faux plants.
Pumpkin Sign: DIY
Painted Furniture and Painted Thrifted Chandelier: DIY Chalk Paint Recipe
Watercolor Pumpkin Art on Shelves: Jamie Clark Art
As For Me And My House Wood Sign: Show the Joy
Macrame Beside Shelves: Bexley SLC
Dishes and Items On Shelving: Mostly Thrifted
Wood Stool: Thrifted
Rug: Wild Shaman
Now Death Where Is Your Sting Sign: Salted Words
Walnut Grove Tree Farm Sign: Crafting In The Country
Affiliate links are used in this post to assist in finding materials for projects and/or home decor. I only link companies that I trust.