Making this clock out of a table top ranks pretty high on my list of “favorite diy projects”. I love the way it turned out and am so excited to share all of the details with you. I don’t know why I have never thought of doing this before but when I saw this old wood table at a thrift store for $15, yeah that’s right $15, I knew from the moment I saw it that I wanted to turn it into a clock. I’m still in shock over the price. I loved the old character of the wood and even all of the splits in the wood. Those are the kinds of things that gives it gorgeous character, in my opinion.
I started off by sanding the table top down with my Ryobi hand sander and 100 grit sandpaper. I was going back and forth, trying to decide whether or not I wanted to sand it at all. I decided to sand it down a little because one of the areas was significantly darker in the center. I’m so glad that I decided to sand it. It gave me the chance to try out Old Barn Milk Paint’s (no longer available) “weathered” stain and let me tell ya my friends, I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to the stain from the hardware stores ever again. I’m not being paid to say this….this is by far my favorite stain ever! It’s natural, non toxic, and has no horrible odor. What more can I ask for in a stain?? We all need some natural in our lives when it comes to diy projects.
After I was finished staining it, we let it dry overnight. The next day, we brought it inside and propped it up on some saw horses for an easier working surface. This sucker is heavy so I was thankful for some man power from my hubs and son. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I found these 6″ Rusty Metal Roman Numerals at Thors Forge for only $30 for all 12!! They were EXACTLY what I was looking for and the price can’t be beat. They live up to every rusty numeral dream that I had when looking for them. They have several different size options and so many other rusty metal home decor goodness items too. When it was time to attach these amazing Roman Numerals, We measured and laid out the Roman Numerals where we wanted them. We placed ours a couple of inches from the edge.
Now comes the sticky part. We used this Gorilla Non Expanding Construction Adhesive to glue the Roman Numerals to the clock. This stuff seriously worked like a dream.
Naturally, the Roman Numerals will be closer together in this area where the numerals are larger.
We made sure that the glue didn’t get too close to the edge and then used these clamps and some heavy rocks to hold the numerals down and in place until they were dry. This glue dried faster than I imagined it would. I believe a few hours and the clock was ready to hang. My hubs was so sweet to help me with the gluing process, as my system can’t handle these chemical smells right now.
We added some screws to the back side of the clock and attached some heavy duty wire for hanging. My hubs found a stud in the wall, added a screw, and up the clock went until our clock hands arrived.
This is what the back of the clock looks like. My hubs cut a hole to size, with a hammer and wood chisel, so that the clock hands kit would fit. The etsy shop that I found my 24″ clock hands no longer exists. I have scoured the internet looking and the largest hands I’ve been able to find since are these 17.8″ hands.
I knew that the size of the hands we had originally found was going to be a little too long since our clock circumference was 48″, but I had planned on cutting off the ends a little. It ended up that we only had to cut a little off on the end of the minute hand. My hubs used a hack saw to cut off the excess and it worked great. If you know me and have been following me for a while, you will know that my “measuring skills” would probably not be the best when trying to do some of these line em up tasks. My “aim and fire” mentality is not the best, I know…my hubs is always there to save the day for me.
I don’t think I could be any happier with the end result…a HUGE, budget friendly, one of a kind clock for less than $100.
Clock Hands: Amazon
Jute Rug: Amazon
Rug on top of Jute Rug: Boutique Rugs
Frames: Thrifted and Painted with my DIY chalk paint recipe
Wreaths: Target a couple of years back
Wine Barrel: Garage Sale
Trunks: Thrifted and Painted with my DIY Chalk Paint Recipe
Glass Coffee Table: Thrifted and painted with my DIY Chalk Paint Recipe
*Affiliate links are used in this post.