If you follow me on IG, you might have seen my stories on the day that I started ripping apart this settee. I had no idea where I was headed with this piece, nor how much work it would be to complete. A lot of sweat, splinters, and sneers took part in this deconstruction. Sometimes the tearing apart is tougher than the putting back together. I started by tearing off all of the fabric, batting, springs, and burlap undearneath. I used needle nose pliers and scissors to tear everything off and I have to say, at this point I was wishing for combine to back over the darn thing. This was the most grueling part of the entire process.
After everything was removed, I cleaned it off to get it ready to paint. The springs that initially were holding the seat in place were not sturdy enough to hold weight anymore so we removed them and my hubs cut me a seat for it out of plywood. I left a lot of the tack nails in the wood, along with some of the burlap around the edges to give it more of a deconstructed feel.
After two coats of chalkpaint and a little distressing, I was ready to work on the seat. I cut and added 2″ foam to the seat, applying spray adhesive before placing it on the board. The spray adhesive helps to hold the foam in place.
I cut the foam with scissors. The foam edges did not have to be perfect because the next step was to add batting.
I used my staple gun to attach the batting on top of the foam and then added fabric atop the batting. I used a painter’s drop cloth for the fabric. I love the neutral and natural feel of a drop cloth. Prior to adding the drop cloth, I bleached it to lighten it up. Washing and drying a painter’s drop cloth really softens it up too.
It’s done!!! I decided to leave the back open and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Now to find a place to put it! I thought I was going to add so much more to the settee than I did, but when I got the seat done, I fell in love with the open back and sides.
The rough character has me oooohing and ahhing!!! I have never owned something deconstructed and now owning one that I actually made, makes me so happy!
I’m loving the simplicity too!
Adding pillows was my favorite part, as it usually is.
I would love to hear (in the comments below) what you think of my deconstructed settee! Thank you so much for following along my projects. I just love completing a diy project. Thanks for stopping by for the before and after! I hope we can connect on IG, Pinterest, and Facebook too! Happy Day!