I’ve been wanting to try various techniques on pots for quite some time. I know there are so many ways to do this type of thing but I thought I would try my made up method first. Most of the items needed for this project, you probably already have lying around at home! yay!
Items you will need for this project:
- a pot or container of choice
- joint compound (if desired…it can be done without too)
- a lighter and darker paint color of choice
- table salt
- craft paint to mix a terra cotta color if desired
- lint free cloth
- paper towels
I found this particular pot on my local facebook marketplace, but I always see pots at thrift stores, including glass and plastic ones, that would work for this or similar processes.
I wanted a lot of texture in my pot…more than some other techniques can give, so I started off with joint compound. If I was doing it over, I would spray paint the pot a matte/flat black before starting…that way, if the paint were to chip at all in the future, I wouldn’t see blue underneath. I think spray painting first (maybe even with just a primer) it is a good idea when using different types of containers. It assures that the products used will stick better to the pot.
I wiped the joint compound on with my gloves and then dabbed it with a dry lint free cloth to get the texture that I desired. This will change some in the next steps because I’m using a textured paint as well. I then let the joint compound dry…
After it was dry, I painted it with “Studio Taupe” Behr paint in matte/ flat finish. I didn’t want so much white (from the joint compound) showing underneath the darker color that I was using later, so I decided to paint this color on first. I bought a few samples at my local hardware store, each cost only a few dollars and they will last me through a lot of projects!
While the paint was drying, I mixed together my textured paint. I’m guessing that the joint compound step could be skipped if desired because this paint has so much texture, but I like the extra texture from the joint compound too, since I was going for a super old look.
I mixed about 1/2 tablespoon of table salt and a half cup “Deconstruction” Behr Paint in matte/flat finish and let it sit for 15ish minutes and it becomes super gritty and texturized.
After the “Studio Taupe” paint had dried, I added the texturized paint, that I had mixed, by wiping it on with my glove. I tried to get a good texture that I desired since this would be the final texturized step. (please excuse the screen shot of my video image below, I forget to take photos when I’m so excited to get to the next step, haha)
I let it dry and then mixed some paint for a terra cotta looking color with some craft paint that I had on hand. I believe I got the Apple Barrel craft paint at Walmart for about .5o a bottle. I mixed a drip of “Red” with “Nutmeg Brown” and a little “Territorial Beige” until I had the color that I desired. I tested it first on a different surface to make sure the color was what I had dreamt up and then started to wipe it on my pot in the areas that were lighter in color. I wiped it on with a dry paper towel and then wiped over it to blend it in with a damp paper towel.
I also wiped a little bit of the “Studio Taupe” Behr paint here and there, just as I did with the terra cotta paint, and then dabbed it in a couple places so that it looked a little splattered and that’s it! I love how it turned out! It’s exactly what I hoped this pot would look like when finished!
I can’t wait to try more and different techniques on more pots! I’ve always loved the look of ancient pots but I don’t want to spend a million dollars on one…this is a perfect solution for a budget friendly old pot!
I cut a few branches and they look perfect in the pot! I would love to hear what you think in the comments below and if you think it’s a project that you would take on!
I was going for something like the look of these screen shots, below, that I had taken from the internet…the first one below, I actually bought a while ago and I’m still waiting for it to get here. I paid a lot more than my diy and in my opinion, the diy looks 100% realistic and old!
I knew mine wouldn’t look exactly like these in coloring but this gave me a great idea of where to start for similar colors! Some of you were asking me how I dream these things up…I love to get the expensive look on a budget and it’s fun for me to try to figure out how I can do things on the cheap, to save a dime, or a million!