I picked up these cute little trees in the Target Dollar Spot last year for $3 a piece. I argued at the checkout for an hour that they should be $1 until they kicked me out. Not really, but that would have been fun video footage to watch. I decided that I would try to flock some with my special made up recipe. I actually have never tried this before but I thought I would try to throw something together that I had on hand. I didn’t know if it was going to work but the end result was just what I was hoping for!
This is what the trees looked like before. The best part about this process, is that it only took about 15 minutes to do all 5 trees AND it only requires 4 supplies!
I sprayed the trees and the canister with white chalk paint. I planned on using different canisters, but I sprayed them just in case the top of the canister would happen to show in the new containers that I chose.
I then sprayed each tree with spray adhesive and sprinkled faux snow on each tree. I didn’t wait until the paint dried to spray on the adhesive for all of them. I thought about not using spray adhesive at all, and just trying to make it stick to the paint, but I think the spray adhesive made it stick even better. I also picked up each tree, flipped it upside down, and completed the same process on the under side of the branches. I wanted them to be snow covered with thick snow. When they were covered as I desired, I sprayed on more adhesive and poured baking soda over each tree and under the branches as well. This gave the snow on each tree a thicker look, instead of a flakey look. I thought about using cornstarch but I didn’t have any at the time and baking soda worked great too.
I love the way they turned out! And although I would not do this on a large tree, it worked great for the smaller trees. They could also be done with less snow. I just wanted the full snow covered look so I poured it on thick. I only used about 1/2 a bag of the fake snow for all 5 of these trees. That stuff goes a long way!
I had so much fun choosing a variety of containers for my trees too! I used old crocks and this wild honey can, all of which I found at thrift stores.
I also sprinkled a little snow around the trees to give the scene even more of a snowy vibe.
I would love to hear below in the comments what you think about my little flocked trees! This was such a fun and easy process! …And, so budget friendly! I would love for you to tag me on Instagram if you do some of your own, @vintageporch. I would say that Chester is tired from the process, but he really just wants a piece of chicken for modeling.
*Affiliate links are used in this post