I happened upon an olive tree topiary at a thrift store one day for $3! When I showed it on my IG stories, I had so many questions as to where you could find one. I found some online that were in the price range of $49-$89!! What? I continued to look for them and every one I can upon was super pricey. If you have been around here for a while, you will know that I can’t stand to spend money on something that is over priced, especially when I know that I can make it myself. If I had extra money, I might try to go get a manicure at some other place than “bite em down”…well, you’re right, probably not. But, I sure wouldn’t want you to spend a dime more than you have to on an amazing olive tree topiary! So here goes…it’s soooooo easy! It took me less than 15 minutes to make 2!! And the total cost was $16.50 per topiary (including the gorgeous aged container)!! I can’t believe it! And I have to say, they are cuter than any of the ones that I’ve seen online too!!
Supplies you will need:
- Container of your choice (I used these cute terra cotta aged looking pots) only $4.99 a piece if you get them on sale
- Block of Floral Foam (you can get these at the Dollar Tree for a $1 a piece)
- 3 Olive Tree Branches/Sprays (If you get them on sale they are only $3.50 a piece)
- Fishing line or something to tie your branches together (fishing line is almost invisible, hence the reason I used that) I just used what I had on hand so it was no extra cost for me. I wondered if some sort of glue would work too.
- Paper Towels and Potting Soil (or dirt from outside)
I started off by cutting the pieces of foam that I had with a steak knife to fit the size of my container. Steak knives weren’t only meant for cutting steak.
I used 3 branches/sprays per topiary but I think that you could get by with 2 as well.
I grabbed all three branches and pushed them down into the foam. I didn’t push them all the way to the bottom of the container, but far enough for them to be sturdy.
I used fishing line to tie the branches together towards the bottom of the foliage and again further down on the stems. I cut off the excess fishing line and I can barely see it there at all.
I used folded up paper towels to tuck in the rest of the edges so that I would not need as much soil to cover the top. It worked perfect!
I added some potting soil and that’s it!! They are finished! I think this might be the easiest project that I’ve ever completed! And check out these cute aged terra cotta containers. The containers and the branches go on sale (50% off) every other week at my local store and they are on sale THIS WEEK. I’m absolutely in love with these topiaries!
And Chester got so excited that he struck up a tune on the piano!
I want to make more just for fun!
I would love to hear what you think of my DIY Olive Tree Topiaries in the comments below! If you make some of your own, tag me (@vintageporch) on Instagram. I would love to see them! Happy Day, my friends! And Happy Budget Friendly DIYing!!