I found this cute little checkerboard/chess board at a thrift store for only five dollars and thought it would be fun to fix it up! I’ve had these little glass chess pieces for quite some time that don’t have a home. When I found the board at the thrift store, I could tell that it was made with plywood, or some type or pressed board. I thought maybe I would try to sand it to see if it lightened up the pattern.
*Affiliate links used in this post
As you can see in the photo below (right side sanded), sanding did nothing, other than scratching it up and fading it out a little…none of the coloring was lightening.
I decided to tape it off and paint it. I used frog tape, and taped off the squares that I could, painted those, and then taped off the remaining squares.
It took four separate times of taping it to get all of the squares painted. This would be a challenging project to complete if the squares were not already existing. I know there are probably tutorials out there of how to tape off a board and paint it from scratch, but I’m glad the squares were already there. I can barely draw straight line sometimes!
I painted the darker squares, a deep dark brown color match that I had on hand. And then I used “Cottage White” Behr paint for the lighter squares, and after they dried, I wiped antiquing glaze over them. For the border, I painted it with “Burnished Clay” Behr paint and then wiped antiquing wax over that as well. I like how the border turned out a little different than the lighter squares, hence why I used two different colors.
I mentioned, on my Instagram stories, that with as much tape as I used, I could probably have bought a new chessboard. I’m kidding, but it was a lot of tape!
I love how it turned out and Chester seems to like it too! Or, he might be looking for that treat that I threw on the board.
I’ve realized that sitting out games will make my kids want to play them! When I came downstairs this morning, Hallie was playing against herself. I love that!
I’d say it was a pretty budget friendly project for $5, some paint, and some tape. And, it goes so much better in this room now! Yay! I see a lot of these around at thrift store and they are so easy to update! It makes it so much easier when the lines are already there! I will eventually seal it with water based poly. I’m going to try the poly spray and hope it comes out super smooth.