Thank you for all of your sweet comments about my painted pots! I’m so excited to show you how I completed this easy and budget friendly project. I started off with these terra cotta pots that I had in my backyard. A friend had given me these pots a few years back and I had initially dry brushed most of them white a couple of years ago. This won’t matter in the process, as you will see, the white paint will soon be covered, so no need to dry brush your pots before you start.
I started out using joint compound to add texture to the pots. Joint compound is very budget friendly, so it barely adds to the cost of this project. I didn’t use a lot of it, so a small container will do. This is the same stuff that I used for my faux brick wall that you will see later in this post. I applied the joint compound, using my hand and just smeared a think layer all over the pot. I then used a paper towel to dab and wipe around the pot, to take away the “smeared look” and give it more of the texture that I was looking for. I think that this is where the fun begins. This is where you can get creative and dab to your hearts content until the pot looks like you want it to. Keep in mind that you will be lightly sanding these later so the texture will not remain exactly the same. The joint compound did not take long to dry after I applied it, which was nice for the time span of this project.
I didn’t want to buy new paint so I checked my paint closet and used some I had on hand. I used 3 different colors of paint all in satin/eggshell finish…
1.Valspar Paint, color: Vintage Frame mixed with a little craft paint Apple Barrel brand, color: Palm Leaf (I mixed a little of both until I had the color I desired, which was a deep dark green)
2. Valspar Paint, color: Portland Twilight
3. Behr Paint: Swiss Coffee
I used this circular brush that was a little stiff in its bristles to stipple/dab the paint on the pot, alternating the colors. I started with the darker color on some pots and mixed it up on others to give them all a different look. Some of the pots I only used one of the Valspar colors along with the Swiss Coffee so that they would all have their own unique look.
After I was done dabbing on the colors, I then blended the colors with a paper towel.
After the paint was all blended, I would add on some of the darker color and sometimes some of the lighter color in various places to bring out different tones in different areas. As you can see by now, there is no perfect way to paint these pots. It’s all a game of adding and wiping off and blending. When I was happy with the coloring, I sanded them with this 150 grit sand paper block in a downward motion. This helped pull off some of the paint, to give the paint a layered/chippy look. This also helps some of the joint compound (which is white) show underneath the other colors. If I felt like an area needed more paint, I would dab on more and complete the same process.
I would also sand sometimes when the paint was a little damp. This helped blend the colors even more.
If you see, there are some areas on some of my pots that look brownish, or rust color. There were areas on my pots where the terra cotta or rust color bled through the joint compound. I love how that happened so I just incorporated it with all of my other colors. I don’t know if this would happen on every pot, so if you like that look, you could always add a rust/brown color of paint.
I am so in love with the way they turned out. I would love to hear what you think in the comments below! I took these photos for an up close of what a few of them looked like. You can see them all styled up in my space in the photos below these.
All sources for this space linked below, at the end of this post. I am loving the pots in this space. I would love to hear your opinion too!
You can see that “rust” color that I was referring to there on that second pot in, in the middle.
I’m pretty sure that Chester is thinking, “when is this going to be over so I can get my treat”.
Source List: (Click or Tap on Highlighted Text)
Horse Photo Frame: Thrifted And Painted With My Chalk Paint Recipe
Old Trunk: Craigslist
Chippy Side Table: Thrifted And Painted With Old Barn Milk Paint Color: Sweet Cream
Old Books: Thrifted
*Affiliate Links are used in this post